Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Comfort Food Becomes Healthy


With a name like "Broccoli Puff," how can you not expect some comfort food goodness?  I don't know where the recipe originated in my family, but it sure does sound like something that came from the Midwest... complete with a crispy, buttery baked topping and full of rich and creamy insides that make my mouth water just thinking about it.  Broccoli Puff is a staple at every family holiday gathering, and I was sure to eat my share this holiday season.

Now that the holidays are over, I have found myself craving to indulge in this dish just one more time... BUT I am trying to keep with my "Life Resolution" (since we all know New Year's Resolution's don't typically stick) to eat more healthfully.  Let me define "healthfully" since it seems there are a million opinions as to what really is healthy.  For me, healthy eating means getting back to the most natural and basic foods possible.  Organic, un-messed around with, and full of nutrients.

In line with this, I have decided to substitute a little of this and lessened a little of that to make a more natural, healthy version of good 'ol Broccoli Puff.  Maybe I should start brainstorming a new name for it now...

Here's how I did it:

One head of fresh, broccoli, cooked (organic and local are always the best)
1/4 Cup plain yogurt
1 Teaspoon corn starch (you can use flour as well, just double the amount)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (follow link for a healthier, scratch alternative)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup bread whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Place the cooked broccoli in a baking dish (about a 9x9 size).  In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, corn starch, soup, cheese, milk, and egg.  Top with bread crumbs and melted butter.

Cook at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour, or until top is bubbly and edges are golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment