Wednesday, July 23, 2014

K.I.S.S. Smoothies

I love smoothies.  Cool, refreshing, and delicious... I don't know anyone who can't get down with that.  I used to be somewhat intimidated by smoothie making... I thought it was only on those days where I had extra time to sit around and sip on a straw while sitting on my porch and reading.  But since then I have realized that it's a great go-to meal on busy days (especially when the heat is so intense that you don't have much of an appetite anyways).

The internet is full of inspiration for recipes for smoothies.  I'm just here to remind you of this concept: K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)!  Sometimes I am overwhelmed with the list of ingredients in these recipes, and then I discovered that pretty much anything works- so if it's in your fridge and it sounds good, try it!

Here's a general guideline as to what I usually include:

Half a cup of kale
2 teaspoons chia seeds
Plain yogurt
1-2 teaspoons agave nectar
Whatever fruit I have on hand
1/2 cup water

Sometimes I throw in some ice, too.  I usually have bananas since it's so easy to buy a bunch, then freeze them so they keep on hand.  Just make sure you break them up in smaller pieces so they blend easily!  Peanut butter is always a tasty addition to a banana smoothie.

I use a regular-old blender, a cheapie I bought for $20 at Target.  There are many fancy juicers and blenders out there, but don't be afraid to use your regular blender!  The important thing is to just try it!

What do you like to include in your smoothies?  I love hearing other folks' recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment