Saturday, July 5, 2014

Local Hikes: Mt. Baden-Powell


The term "local" can be very relative.  If you live within an hour's drive... I am going to say that you're a local.  Wrightwoodians may disagree, but how about I call you the "local locals."  Maybe it's the Southern Californian in me, but I think if you can drive to a place in an hour (including traffic!), then you're a local.  But, I digress!

This is post two in a series of local (or local local) Wrightwood hikes.  If you are in the Southern California area, a drive to Wrightwood is among one of the easiest mountain drives since it is pretty straightforward for a mountain road; no major twists or turns, no incredibly steep drop-offs (until you get past the town), and less chance that you will hit fog on the drive up (especially if you're driving up in the summer... then I would say your chances are pretty dang good that you won't hit fog...).  After this laid-back drive up, you can tackle a pretty serious mountain climb.  Mt. Baden-Powell is 9,399 feet tall, with an elevation gain of 2,807 feet in four miles if you climb it from Vincent Gap trail head.  This trail head is about 8 miles or so West of the town of Wrightwood on Highway 2.  Keep going past Inspiration Point, and the next large parking lot you see immediately off the highway is Vincent Gap trail head.

There's the summit!  And the plaque to prove it.
Named for Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts, at the summit you will find a plaque in his honor.  Near the summit there are a few Limber Pines, which are 1,500 years old and related to the oldest tree in the world, the Bristle Cone Pine.  The hike up is strenuous, but is only four miles, so it's not too difficult for someone who is in decent shape.  At about 3 miles, I can usually start feeling the effect of the high elevation (even though I live at about 5,800 feet).  This is not only a good hike unto itself, but it's great to train here for other high elevation hikes.  This hike really helped me prepare for Mt. San Gorgonio and backpacking in the Sierra Nevada, where I was at elevations of 10,000-11,000 feet.

At 1.5 miles up the trail, you will find Lamel Spring as a short detour.  The term spring is used somewhat sparingly, as I have only seen a trickle of water here.  However, in our dry mountains this is a great spot to scout out wildlife.  I have seen deer and other animals (birds, squirrels, etc.) here, and there are also some beautiful vegetation that you would only find around water.  I would say that it isn't something you must see as a hiker, but its worth seeing if you have never been, or if you really want to try to find some wildlife.  As a PCT-er, I wouldn't recommend depending on this source for water after late May, especially if its a dry year.

On average, the hike usually takes us 4.5 hours round-trip (though I have friends who have done it in 2.5 hours!).  I would recommend planning 5-6 hours for your first trip up, just in case.  The trail is fairly steep and full of switch-backs.  Not so easy on the joints coming down (I'm weird- downhill is my least favorite because of the aches in my knees and hips).  If you also have joint pain, I would recommend trekking poles for this hike.

Bring plenty of water in the summer (though most of it is in the shade), and at least one snack.  If you're hiking in the spring or fall, be wary of ice chutes and snow conditions.  It may be warm and sunny where you're from, but full of snow at the summit.  I have had one personal friend fall down an ice chute, and it can be very dangerous (not to scare anyone out of this hike, just be careful!).  The San Gabriel Mountains are known for being underestimated, so please give them the respect they deserve.

If you're looking for something different, you can continue on the Silver Moccasin Trail towards Dawson Saddle, which connects to Highway 2.  It's a 4.3 mile hike from Mt. Baden-Powell to Dawson Saddle, so the total hike would be 8.3 miles, which is just three-tenths of a mile longer than if you went back to Vincent Gap parking lot.  If you go this way with a group, you could potentially stage a car at either trail head.  I have never gone this way for a day hike, so if you have, please leave me a comment to tell me how it went!

And, after your hike, you have a nice easy drive off the mountain.  (Maybe just stop in town for some grub first!)


Views of the desert to the North are visible once you reach about 8,500 feet.

My husband on the trail.  Like I said, pretty steep!




Feel free to comment if you hiked Baden-Powell recently.  You can let others know about current conditions, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment